Sustainability & Conservation At Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa
Tabacón Thermal Resort & Spa is committed and deeply believes in sustainability. They recognise the impact of their operations on the environment and their community, and they continually review and evolve their policies to create memorable experiences for their guests and at the same time ensure the future of new generations. Since their early stages, sustainability has been part of the retreat's DNA. They also recognise that they are active members of their community. Tabacon is constantly seeking ways to improve the lives of their neighbours and all inhabitants of La Fortuna de San Carlos, providing employment and promoting environmental conservation.
TABACON GREEN PROGRAMME
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa was the first luxury resort in Costa Rica to receive its carbon neutral certification and features a Green programme that encourages both guests and employees to conserve local resources and aid in protecting Costa Rica’s natural environment. It is credited with the highest category Certification for Sustainable Tourism (CST), Level 5, granted by the Costa Rican Tourism Board (ICT).
The resort encourages responsible environmental practices via the following initiatives:
- Environmental species tagging
- Use of all organic and biodegradable products
- Encouraging visits to national parks
- Waste management programme
- Reforestation programmes
- Water & electricity conservation programmes
- Use of energy-saving technology
- Plant-a-tree programmes
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
Tabacón Thermal Resort & Spa is responsible for an array of socioeconomic improvements in the region. In addition to employing 95% native staff, the resort has created a community development programme that encourages guests to donate $3 per night of their stay, with 100% of the proceeds going towards improving education in local schools.
The resort's community development includes the following initiatives:
- Staff development programme.
- Internship programme.
- Accessible tourism.
- Health and wellness programmes for staff and nearby communities.
- Bike path project: “La Fortuna en Dos Ruedas”.
- Support of local producers and regional sourcing of ingredients.
- Social campaigns and collaboration to develop community infrastructure (schools, childcare facilities).
If this blog has got you interested in starting your wellness journey at Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa please call our wellness advisors at 020 7843 3597 or enquire here.