For travellers interested in wellness, there is arguably no better destination than Japan. Over many centuries, the Japanese have developed a multitude of techniques for quieting the mind, cultivating inner peace and promoting good health including zazen meditation, tea ceremonies and thermal hot springs known as onsens.
Why visit Japan for a wellness holiday?
- It has a rich history of wellness traditions
- To experience the healing benefits of its thermal hot springs that are also known as onsens
- It’s a very spiritual country – Buddhist temples are almost as plentiful as onsens
- The country has one of the highest life expectancies in the world
- The Japanese diet is regarded as one of the world’s healthiest
- There are numerous direct flights to the country from London Heathrow
What to expect from a Japanese Spa?
The country is particularly famous for its thermal hot springs or onsens that are known for their many health benefits including boosting blood circulation, reducing stress and relieving pain. In addition to its onsens, Japan is also known for traditional treatments such as the Shiatsu massage, a form of bodywork involving manipulating the body using "figure pressure” that can help with muscle stiffness and digestive problems. You can also expect to experience a form of seated meditation known as Zanzen, which will help you to relax and clear your mind of all distractions. Last but not least, food also plays a very important part in the country’s spa experience. The Japanese diet is regarded as one of the world’s healthiest and, so a retreat here will leave you feeling lighter, healthier and happier.