Meditation for Beginners - Five Simple Tips for Getting Started09/01/2023, Rajesh Ramani
Rajesh Ramani is an internationally sought-after mentor, teacher and retreat facilitator who has worked extensively in eastern philosophy with experience of teaching in over 25 countries. Rajesh is well known for effectively translating complex truths into principles for everyday life and relationships, bringing a balance in the philosophy and perception of an individual. When talking to Rajesh we asked him if he had any advice on how to reduce the stress of daily life, he has kindly given us some tips on meditation for beginners and the benefits of it.
WHY SHOULD WE DO MEDITATION?
Meditation is a practice to see' oneself as we truly are. If a person does sustain regular practice it can lead to calmness, a response from awareness, the breaking unhealthy habits, greater acceptance and compassion.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF MEDITATION?
An imbalance is created when we are driven by fear instead of positive energy. Most stress is sourced in low energy levels and overindulgence out of habits. The immediate benefit of meditation is calmness and clarity. It reduces the chatter of the mind and improves attention and focus. As we do a sustained practice, meditation will help us respond to life situations from a place of balance; a much more centred approach to life.
WHAT ARE COMMON CHALLENGES TO MEDITATION?
Restlessness and lethargy are common barriers to meditation. Often we enter a meditation practice with a ‘violent’ approach. As though it is something to be achieved and tamed. We strive to get it right and spend a lot of energy on that. This approach doesn’t work with meditation. Meditation practices need patience and gentleness. When we realize the nature of our effort is one of violence, restlessness and lethargy reduce.
CAN MEDITATION BE DONE AT HOME?
Definitely! If you spend at least 20 – 30 minutes a day strengthening your mindfulness; it can increase your emotional awareness and acknowledging life, meditation can go a long way in becoming stress-free.
TOP TIPS FOR MEDITATION FOR BEGINNERS
- Start with simple and easily doable practice.
- Choose a comfortable posture with your back erect.
- Be relaxed; be still; be watchful of what is happening in and around you.
- Bring your focus to the object of attention for 3 - 4 minutes (Breath, body sensations, sound, image, mantra etc) Rest your mind for a couple of minutes.
- Repeat this cycle of ‘focus and rest’ a few times.
- Do not try to control or empty your mind. If your mind wanders about, get back to the object with a gentle smile.
- Appreciate yourself with a smile when you find yourself focused even for a short period of time. Take a mental selfie of yourself meditating
If you would like to start your wellness journey then get in touch with one of our wellness advisors today by calling 020 7843 3597