Interview with Preidlhof's resident doctor Dr. Angerer31/08/2018, Healing Holidays
1. How did you come to work at Preidlhof?
Preidlhof’s holistic approach was and remains the primary motivator. This includes the healthy options in the kitchen, the huge variety of sport and fitness classes on offer to guests, the highly integrated and holistic approach of the Spa and Wellness department and the great teamwork and collaboration that exists across the entire resort. I have been here for ten years now.
Before this, I had studied medicine in Innsbruck and Vienna, and worked in the General Hospital in Merano, Italy, specialising in Complementary Medicine. This was one of the first hospitals to open a Complimentary Medicine department. I also spent three years in the private hospital “Marienklinik” in Bozen, and for 15 years, operated my own private practice in Naturns incorporating Traditional Chinese Medicine.
2. What do most clients at Preidlhof need advice on, what health conditions do they report?
The main reason why guests come to see me at Preidlhof is for preventative health. Most of our guests already feel good but they want to know how they can improve their health. We offer different health checks which include both Traditional Chinese Medicine diagnostics and measurements, as well as laboratory-based DNA analyses. Based on the results of these tests, guests can get an idea as to their state of health and I can give them concrete advice and tailored recommendations to further benefit their overall wellbeing.
We also see many clients that are operating under high levels of stress and those who have difficulty losing weight. At Preidlhof we have specialist programmes tailored to help with these specific issues and we work closely with the whole Med Spa Team to achieve the best results for our guests. For instance, in support of weight-loss, Preidlhof collaborates with a specialist DNA-Analytics laboratory. The outcome of this DNA measurement is an individual nutrition and eating plan designed by us that correspondents to the guest’s personal DNA, and indicates what is good for their body, and what food will help them to lose or gain weight.
3. Where do you think many clients go wrong in trying to achieve weight loss?
One of the main failures is down to following a mono-diet over a sustained period of time. Also, many people do not want to take responsibility for themselves, they find many excuses as to why they cannot lose weight or why a diet is unsustainable. Weight loss demands a change in mindset, daily habits and routines - not just in terms of nutrition but also increased movement. This is what we really encourage our guests at Preidlhof to embrace: to enjoy eating a more balanced and varied diet, to relax and get moving more!
4. How do you manage to bridge TCM with weight loss and why do you think it is beneficial to do both?
TCM, and especially acupuncture can be very helpful to support the weight loss process. Acupuncture helps to stimulate and activate the diet, digestion, sleep quality, and energy balance.
5. What would be your essential take home health advice for guests?
I have four main recommendations:
- Sleep: Try to get sufficient and regular sleep
- Eat: I subscribe to the old adage ‘Eat Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince, and Dine like a Pauper’. This means that everyone should start with a good and complete breakfast, lunch should be lighter and dinner should be much lighter - without carbohydrates and in smaller portions
- Drink water: Stay well hydrated throughout the day!
- Be honest: Be true to yourself and take responsibility for your action.
If this blog has got you interested in starting your wellness journey at Preidlhof please call our wellness advisors at 020 7843 3597 or enquire here.