Healthy Recipe from kamalaya: Wonderous Watermelon18/07/2013, Karina Stewart
We wanted to share Kamalaya's fast facts about watermelon with you and to give you a way to use that last bit of Watermelon in your fridge with their Chilled Melon Soup healthy recipe.
Did you know...
A watermelon contains about 6% sugar and 91% water by weight. As with many other fruits, it is an excellent source of Vitamin C so it’s the perfect healthy fruit to snack on, especially in summer time. Watermelon is particularly favoured in China during the hot summer season for its gentle diuretic effects, ensuring hot weather water retention and oedema is prevented. Why not try one of Kamalaya’s signature ‘chilled’ soups at home?
Chilled melon soup – A blend of watermelon and cantaloupe flavoured with ginger and a mint granité. (see the recipe below). Another summer treat, both watermelon and cantaloupe are very cooling and may alleviate heat conditions of the heart, stomach and bladder; they moisten the intestines relieving some constipation and can treat urinary and kidney inflammations; alleviate oedema and some cases of depression. Mint adds to the cooling effect and ginger offers a slightly warming effect for balance and some great “zing".
Chilled Melon Soup
- Watermelon, no seed 150 g
- Cantaloupe melon 100 g
- Ginger, juice 2 ml
- Chili powder 1 g
- Ice 20 g
- Mint garnish 20 g
- Mint fresh 1 g
- Ginger stripes 1 g
- Mint granite recipe: 300 ml
- Vegetable stock 250 ml
- Mint leaf 100 ml
- Lime juice 5 ml
- Stevia 20 g
- Cut the melon into small sizes and blend it together with the ice cubes, ginger juice and chilli powder on a high level for about 30 seconds.
- If the consistency of the soup is too thick add little bit vegetable stock, keep chilled.
- Cut the ginger into very fine julienne.
- For the granite, bring the vegetable stock to boil turn off the heat, add the lime and mint and let the liquid sit for about 10 minutes and strain.
- Next put the stevia into a fine strainer and strain several times the liquid through that the liquid gets a sweet note ( need to check the flavour after each straining process) – freeze.
- Serve the soup in a small chilled bowl, scrape out 20 g of the granite and put on to, garnish out with a nice mint leaf and the ginger.
For more recipes from Kamalaya click here.