SHA Wellness: 10 Benefits of a good night sleep
SHA Wellness Clinic is a fantastic macrobiotic medical spa. It's famed for its cutting-edge Western medicine with centuries-old Oriental therapies to remarkable effect. It's doctors are some of the best in the world, so whether it is sleep enhancement to weight loss, smoking cessation or stress relief - SHA Wellness is the perfect place to visit.
The body is governed by a biological clock that marks the time when it should perform each of its functions. Some of those related to beauty and youth occur at night, while you sleep. Therefore it is very important to rest well and sleep well at night because it brings many health benefits. Dr. Vicente Mera, Head of the Sleep Unit at SHA Wellness Clinic, shares 10 benefits of a good sleep.
10 reasons for a good sleep:
1. After dark, the pineal gland located in the brain begins to produce melatonin, the hormone that induces sleep about 2 or 3 hours after start made. However, with the emergence of light ceases production of the hormone melatonin and disappears from the blood.
2. Almost simultaneously, between 7 and 8 am beginning to segregate the cortisol hormone known as waking hormone, and that the body needs to metabolize carbohydrates, which are those that provide energy for daytime activity. So, everything works better when we sleep well at night and live during the day.
3. Melatonin is a more potent antioxidant than vitamins C and E, and prevents damage and cell death, thus ensuring the good health of the tissues. Hence consider is the youth hormone and is designated as anti-aging substance. Sleeping well makes you look younger and better.
4. In deep sleep is produced growth hormone (DHEA) and the production peak is reached within two hours once the dream. The children used to grow and adults to delay aging and disease risks such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, skin breakdown…
5. The peak intensity of the skin cell regeneration occurs between midnight and 4 am.
6. Melatonin and DHEA also favour the production and growth of bones.
7. During a restful sleep, stress disappears and improves mental and physical health, as slow and deep breathing provides more oxygen to reach the cells concentrated.
8. There is evidence that sleep functions include not only the restoration of energy storage in the brain, but also the consolidation of memory. If you have an exam or an important presentation at work, you will have better results if you sleep well the previous night than if you stay awake trying to review your acquired knowledge.
9. When we sleep well, we have a stronger immune system. It is shown that people who sleep less than 7 hours a day have more probability to get ill than people who sleep 8 hours daily.
10. In addition, the night rest affects weight and body mass index (BMI). A study of the Washington Sleep Institute University showed that lack of sleep increases BMI, favouring obesity and overweight.
If you are interested in a Sleep Recovery programme at Sha Wellness Clinic, get in contact with one of our wellness experts who will be able to help you find the retreat that is perfect for you. Simply call 020 7843 3597 or click here to enquire.
I want to reserve special praise for Emily Barnes my advisor from healing holidays, who pretty much organised the whole package including special requests on short notice and tight budget and timescales, she was absoltely amazing, timely, exceptionally responsive, thorough and thoughtful, and a real credit to what you do there, I cannot speak highly enough of her, and will be booking my holidays with her in mind in future"