Ayurvedic remedies for Chronic Fatigue SyndromeDr Deepa Apté - Ayurveda
Ayurveda sees Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as a combination of toxins and excess heat that have accumulated in the body. The key symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome are excessive exhaustion, fatigue, weakness, general body pain. It is believed that tiredness is a result of a weak digestive fire which leads to toxin formation.
My suggested remedies:
- Chyawanprash (a ayurvedic food supplement) is recommended as it helps to get rid of toxins and boosts the immunes system. Take mixed in hot water
- It's important to stay hydrated - drink plenty of fluids
- Avoid excess of spicy and sour foods
- To stimulate the digestive fire drink grated ginger in lemon juice
- Eat almonds daily as they help strengthen the immune system (I recommend five every morning that have been soaked in water overnight and peeled.
- I highly recommend having whole body massages - Abhyanga will help to restore energyy
- Marma Massage (Ayurvedic Energy Point Massage) and Shirodhara are known to improve conditions of CFS
- Triphala helps regulate excess Pitta in the body as well as eliminating toxins
- Shatavari also reduces excess Pitta
- Turmeric helps to prevent bouts of tiredness
- Ashwagandha helps to calm and strengthen the nervous system
- As oxygen helps to flush out lactic acid (may also be the cause of tiredness) doing daily breathing exercises are recommended in Ayurveda. The best breathing exercises are alternate nostril breathing, breath of fire, left nostril breathing, right nostril breathing
- Yoga poses I recommend to rejuvenate the systems are the corpse pose and the child position
- Classically Ayurveda recommends Panchakarma which is its signature detox therapy
- Have regular liver cleanses with herbs like Triphala, Turmeric, Neem, and Manjistha
- I also recommend regular purgation with castor oil
This is a guest blog post from our Healing Expert Dr Deepa Apté, a fully qualified Indian medical doctor, Yoga teacher and Ayurvedic practitioner.